Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Too Much Algebrization, Not Enough Art

“Art is a way of experiencing the artfulness of an object, the object is not important…”-Victor Shklovsky






As an English major, I am constantly reminded how effective literature “de-familiarizes the familiar”, taking an everyday object or idea and somehow making it refreshing and interesting again. Viktor Shklovsky discusses how poetry and prose can take ordinary, almost mundane ideas and make them profound again. He explains, “By this algebraic method of thought we apprehend objects only as shapes with imprecise extensions; we do not see them in their entirety, but rather recognize them by their main characteristics,” (Rivkin, 15). Personally, I see this concept of “algebrization” as an everyday behavior in all aspects of human life. Eventually, by definition of this idea, every behavior will become habitual and formulaic, rather than a joyful task. Although at first this concept saddened me, it also became a personal “wake-up call". Every task I do has almost become routine, allowing me to lose interest in activities I may have previously enjoyed. Through Shklovsky’s theory, I may be able to decrease the amount of “algebrization” I do in my life. If an individual (not unlike myself) takes themselves away from their habitual behaviors, even for a moment, they will be able to see the appeal to the behavior in the first place. Art is supposed to be that moment away from your behavior. By hearing or seeing an everyday object in this new perspective, an individual is intrigued once more.